Perkins Fire Department Employment
Employment Opportunities with the Perkins Fire Department
The Perkins Fire Department is accepting applications for a Firefighter.
The City of Perkins is looking for a high-energy, service-oriented, and dedicated professional to join the Perkins Fire Department. Reporting directly to the Fire Chief or their designee, the Firefighter performs various duties to protect life, property, and the environment, including responding to emergency medical, fire, rescue, and hazardous materials alarms and public service calls; maintaining firefighting, emergency medical, and associated vehicles, apparatus, and equipment; performing the full range of fire suppression duties; providing basic life support emergency medical assistance; conducting fire prevention inspection and public education programs including fire safety inspections of buildings; and conducting and participating in firefighting, fire prevention, public education, disaster preparedness, and related training activities.
START DATE: Approximately mid to late July 2023
HOURS & WAGE: The Firefighter is classified as a non-exempt, full-time position, with a salary range of $34,320 – 36,400 per year, commensurate with experience. In accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act, compensatory time off will be given in lieu of overtime, except as specifically required by law or contract.
Must be available to work weekends, evenings, nights, and/or holidays, as assigned. Hours may vary depending upon department needs with additional hours outside a normal work schedule.
All City of Perkins full-time staff are considered essential and may be required to report to work during emergency situations.
1. Complete a City of Perkins job application (four pages) and Oklahoma Firefighters Pension and Retirement System Waiver and Physician Release forms (two pages) -- Six pages total
a. Click here to download the City of Perkins job application as a writable .pdf
OR Click here to download the City of Perkins job application to be completed by hand
b. AND Click here to download the Oklahoma Firefighters Pension and Retirement System Waiver and Physician Release
2. Return the application, waiver, and release forms (six pages) to the City of Perkins. You may fax to (405) 547-5440, drop off the materials at City Hall, Monday-Friday, 8-noon/1-5 p.m., or use the night/weekend drop box. You may also mail your application to City of Perkins, PO Box 9, Perkins, OK 74059. To be considered, materials MUST be received by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, June 16, 2023.
3. Take and pass the Minimum Physical Performance Test/Agility, which will be held on Saturday, June 17, 2023, at 8:00 a.m. at the Perkins-Tryon High School track. Download the Oklahoma Firefighters Pension and Retirement System Minimum Physical Performance Test/Agility Form 9 to view the requirements. (June 24, 2023, is the back-up date in case of inclement weather.)
Click here to download the Oklahoma Firefighters Pension and Retirement System Minimum Physical Performance Test/Agility Form 9 (you will not complete this form - it is for informational purposes only.)
4. An additional component may include a written test. The need for this test will be determined by the Fire Chief. If deemed necessary, the test will be administered on Saturday, June 17, 2023, at 11:00 a.m. at the Perkins Fire Station 2.
5. Interviews will be held the week of June 17-24, 2023. This will include an interview with a board. Candidates who pass the first interview will then have an interview with the Fire Chief.
6. Candidates will be evaluated and a finalist selected during the week of June 25-30, 2023. The finalist will receive a job offer contingent upon passing the physical exam.
7. July 1-14, 2023, the finalist will take the physical exam and a start date will be selected.
If you have questions, please contact Chief Joe Barta at 405-547-2445.